A graduate of Le Moyne College with a dual B.S in Marketing and Management & Leadership, Maggie began her career with United Way MV in October 2019. Prior to joining the United Way team, she worked in marketing and events in the food/beverage industry while coordinating weddings for multiple venues. Today, Maggie leads the charge on United Way events and social media in addition to providing support to the marketing team.
United Way is a leading problem solver, innovator, and connector in the Mohawk Valley. Maggie considers herself a “connector”, as she manages United Way’s social media, which she considers to be an important piece in sharing information to connect people to the valuable resources United Way and its funded partners are offering the community. From Take and Make meal box distributions, to 211, to Free Tax Prep, social media plays a key role in getting the message out there to people who need the resources most.
When asked why she likes to work for United Way, Maggie says, “I’ve always been that person who offers to lend a hand in any way that I can. Whether that means making someone a meal, babysitting their kids, or helping a co-worker tackle a project, I feel such a sense of purpose when I’m able to help someone. Working on the marketing team at United Way, I’m able to see all of the ways we help people throughout the Mohawk Valley, and it’s so satisfying to know that the effort we put into our work is making a difference in so many lives. Oh, and our rockin’ team of ladies (plus Craig) is just about the best, most hardworking, and inspiring group of people I’ve ever met.”
Maggie’s favorite United Way project this year has been putting together the holiday video. It was a reading of “Winter Candle”, narrated by United Way’s staff and board of directors. “Being able to connect with so many staff and board members to record their part, when I haven’t seen the vast majority of them in over 9 months, was so fulfilling. It was nowhere near our typical meetings in the conference room and being able to connect face-to-face, but it was wonderful to be able to check-in with so many of these awesome individuals I used to see on a daily/weekly basis. And I appreciate them humoring me to make this video a reality! We all needed a little extra holiday cheer this year”, says Maggie.
In addition to supporting the marketing efforts, Maggie leads event planning at UW for all of their annual events and fundraisers including Tailgate Party, Women United (formerly 100 Women Who Care), Cliffs Pumps United, Day of Action, Community Block Party, the Half- K Run, and Saranac Thursdays & Concert Series. In 2021, Tailgate Party and Women United have been canceled due to COVID restrictions, and dates for the rest of the events are subject to change. Learn more about United Way events here.
Some fun facts about Maggie are:
- She makes artfully curated cheese and charcuterie boards, and you can follow her on Instagram at @boardsbymaggie or on Facebook at Boards by Maggie.
- She has a passion for cooking and food experiences, which she attributes to her parents putting a strong emphasis on the importance of sitting down to eat dinner together and spending time with her Italian grandparents in the kitchen. You can follow her food journey on Instagram at @mealswith_mags.
- Her favorite tomato pie is from Daniele’s in Utica.
- Maggie loves to travel. Her favorite place she’s visited was her great-grandparents hometown - Veroli, Italy. If she could go anywhere, she would do a great American road trip across the US. Also, Greece.
- She is a dog person to her core and has a 10-year-old German Shepherd named Bella.
- Her favorite concerts she’s been to are Taylor Swift (2018) and John Mayer (many times).
- In college, she co-founded a student pitch competition for student entrepreneurs to pitch their business plan to a panel of judges for a chance to win funding for their start-up. Now, Le Moyne holds this event, Dolphin Tank, annually.
- Her spirit animal is an owl because they symbolize change, endurance, and intuition. She even has an owl tattoo on her ankle!
Would She Rather?
We asked Maggie some “Would you rather” questions, and here’s how she answered:
- She would rather read the book than watch the movie.
- She would rather live on the beach than in a cabin in the woods.
- She would rather have a flying carpet than a car that can drive underwater.
- She would rather have unlimited airline tickets than never have to pay for food at restaurants again.
- She would rather time travel than freeze time.