United Way of the Mohawk Valley’s Free Tax Prep program will not be reopening for the 2020 extended tax filing season. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 regulations, restrictions, and phased opening timeline, the ability to prepare and file taxes through this program and meet the tax filing deadlines is not feasible.
Our intention in making this decision now is to ensure our clients have the time to file their taxes in another manner before the deadline. You may still file your taxes for free by utilizing myfreetaxes.com. If this is not an option, please contact a paid tax preparer to complete your filing.
We greatly apologize to our clients for this inconvenience. We looked forward to working with you and hope you will contact us next year!.
Any individuals who are able to utilize “My Free Taxes” are encouraged to do so.
As always, United Way's 211 hotline is available to connect individuals with health and human service needs by calling the three-digit number, 2-1-1 or 1-844-DIAL-211. You may also visit the searchable website by clicking here.
Tax Filing & Payment Deadline Updates
There has been much anticipation regarding IRS tax deadlines. Here are the facts:
- The tax filing deadline for New York State tax returns has been extended to July 15, 2020.
- The tax filing deadline for federal tax returns has been extended to July 15, 2020.
- If the filer has a balance due to the IRS (federal) or New York State there is an extension to pay this amount without penalties or interest. The new deadline to mail your payment is July 15, 2020.
What is MyFreeTaxes.com?
United Way partners with H&R Block to provide its Premium online tax filing software to help people easily and accurately file their federal and state taxes through MyFreeTaxes if they earned $66,000 or less in 2017. Filers can easily access MyFreeTaxes from their computer or the palm of their hand and can file federal and up to three state returns for free. Visit www.myfreetaxes.com to learn more.
What makes MyFreeTaxes Unique from other Products?
- MyFreeTaxes is the only national online free tax preparation service operated by a nonprofit.
- We offer free customer support available in English and Spanish from IRS-certified specialists. Filers can call us or use the chatbox on MyFreeTaxes.com to get assistance from a real person in real-time.
- We never offer upsells to the filer.
- MyFreeTaxes provides more forms and guidance than any other free product on the market. The 2017 version of includes beyond basic forms for any complex filing situations. You can view the full list of state and federal forms supported here.
What is Free Tax Prep?
Moving individuals and families toward Financial Independence.
United Way, in partnership with the Mohawk Valley Asset Building Coalition, is dedicated to helping individuals and families in Oneida and Herkimer Counties become financially self-sufficient by offering free tax preparation services, financial empowerment workshops, and a host of other services.
Having a personal safety net is important and by helping families save money, United Way and partners are offering solutions that move people towards financial independence and a better quality of life.
The Free Tax Prep program offers free tax help to people living in Oneida or Herkimer County who generally make approximately $60,000 or less. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing for taxpayers from eligible households. Free Tax Prep sites accommodate people with disabilities and interpreting for limited English speakers is available.
VOLUNTEER: Be a Tax Prep Hero.
If you have experience or background, you can simply try the online certification.
Click Here to Certify Online | (Online Advanced Certification Instructions)
Invest in the Free Tax Prep Program
Low-wage workers need every penny of their tax refunds and may not realize they do not have to pay fees that drain money away from their refunds. By investing in our community through the Free Tax Prep program, you will make a tremendous difference in helping hard-working individuals and families move towards financial self-sufficiency. Make a gift to support the Free Tax Program.