LAST UPDATED WEDNESDAY, JULY 8, 2020
The continued impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) within our region reminds us of our collective responsibility to our families, colleagues, neighbors, and all community members. As an organization dedicated to the health and well-being of our community, we are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and taking steps to minimize the impact of an outbreak.
As always, United Way's 211 hotline is available to connect our community members with health and human service needs by calling the three-digit phone number, 2-1-1. Phones that do not support three-digit dialing may call 1-844-DIAL-211. Also available is our searchable website. Click here to access 211 Mid-York's website.
Other phone numbers to call regarding virus information and testing for Oneida, Herkimer and Madison Counties include:
Bassett Healthcare Network: 607-547-5555
Upstate Medical University: 315-464-3979
Herkimer, Oneida and Madison Counties have information posted on their websites and are providing updates as necessary. For information specific to your county, please utilize the relevant link below:
Food Resource Guide
Additionally, United Way of the Mohawk Valley has created a Food Resource Guide to help guide those in need of organizations that are offering food resources at this time.
Free Tax Prep, Tax Filing, and Payment Deadline Updates
United Way’s Free Tax Prep program will not be reopening for the 2020 extended tax filing season. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 regulations, restrictions, and phased opening timeline, the ability to prepare and file taxes through this program and meet the tax filing deadlines is not feasible.
Our intention in making this decision now is to be sure our clients have the time to file their taxes in another manner before the deadline. You may still file your taxes for free by utilizing myfreetaxes.com. If this is not an option, please contact a paid tax preparer to complete your filing.
We greatly apologize to our clients for this inconvenience. We looked forward to working with you and hope you will contact us next year!
2020 IRS deadlines:
- The tax filing deadline for New York State has been extended to July 15, 2020.
- The tax filing deadline for federal tax returns has been extended to July 15, 2020.
- If the filer has a balance due to the IRS (federal) or New York State, there is an extension to pay this amount without penalties or interest. The new deadline to mail your payment is July 15, 2020.
UNITED WE WIN
Our community is stronger when we LIVE UNITED, and together we can support each other through challenged and implications of a COVID-19 outbreak.
Mohawk Valley COVID-19 Response Fund
United Way of the Mohawk Valley and the Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties have joined together to create a single community-wide fund top support organizations responding to human service needs in Oneida and Herkimer County resulting from the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic. The Mohawk Valley COVID-19 Response Fund is designed to rapidly deploy flexible resources in the form of grants on a rolling basis as fundraising continues throughout the crisis, ensuring resources can quickly and nimbly meet evolving needs in real-time.
Local Organizations: Tell Us About Your COVID-19 Updates
United Way's 211 hotline is a service to connect our community to resources. In response to the state of emergency declared as a result of COVID-19, 211 is requesting that organizations provide us with their updated information.
Together, let's make sure our 211 database is as comprehensive as possible. ANY business (for profit or not for profit) may complete the survey to update our 211 database with services, assistance, or changes in business related to COVID-19.
Help our community stay connected by sharing:
- Changes to services that you have already or will be implementing (office closings, new services, changed hours, altered services)
- Services to support individuals in quarantine or otherwise affected
- Volunteer recruitment
- Unmet needs you are identifying
Further, this survey will help United Way identify the needs of your business and work to create solutions to assist our community. Click the button below to complete the survey.
LEADING BY EXAMPLE
Our top priority is the safety of our community including staff, volunteers, and partners. We have taken the following precautionary steps:
- Created a contingency plan for business continuity that includes employees working remotely, moving all meetings to virtual connections, and closing our physical office space until further notice.
- Suspended our Free Tax Prep service until further notice and encouraged people to utilize My Free Taxes when possible.
- Ready for Kindergarten Family School Navigators will not be making home visits but will be regularly communicating with the community to assist families while local schools are closed.
- Postponed or canceled several upcoming events.
- Postponed ELU Headshot Happy Hour event, which was scheduled for April 22. A new date will be identified and announced at the earliest possible.
- Postponed ELU Spring Clean-up event, which was scheduled for May 2.
- Canceled Cliff's Pumps United event, which was scheduled for May 29.
- Postponed Day of Action event, which was scheduled June 23.
- 2020 Saranac Thursday and Concert Series is canceled.