UTICA, NY – United Way of the Mohawk Valley (United Way MV) is celebrating its 100th birthday! Over the last 100 years, United Way MV has proven its value by identifying our community’s toughest challenges, developing solutions, and working with people from all walks of life to turn those solutions into action.
“For 100 Years, United Way has brought people, resources, and ideas together to help our community thrive,” stated Erin Gutierrez Matt, CEO of United Way MV. “As we dive into the next century of our work, we can only keep our community moving forward by creating innovative solutions together.”
Some initiatives developed by the United Way MV to help the Mohawk Valley thrive in just the past decade include:
- Launching 211, the most comprehensive database of local services, which is available to residents 24/7/365 and by texting “HELP” to 898-211 to connect them to resources.
- Incubating the opening of the region’s first licensed extended-day childcare center, Academics First. The childcare center offers reliable, safe, and affordable care for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years old. The center is open when our community needs it most, including the afternoons/evenings and weekends (coming soon).
- R4K (Ready for Kindergarten), a partnership between United Way MV, local school districts, parents, and community-based organizations. R4K “Family School Navigators” engage local resources to ensure children start school ready to learn and continue their education fully engaged, paving the way for career and life success.
- Playing a vital role in ensuring that the local homeless community and shelter residents can be connected quickly to safe housing, alongside local health & human service agencies and partners.
- United Way MV also hosts Volunteers United, which is an online platform for community members to find local volunteer opportunities. The platform also allows non-profits to coordinate volunteer efforts more efficiently, seamlessly.
“United Way plays such a vital role for our local community,” stated Matthew Nicholl, United Way MV Board President. “Throughout the past 100 years, this organization has helped our community to adapt and overcome many crises. It has worked hard to improve and address the needs of our local community via strategic investment. Thanks to the support of many, we will be here to help our community for 100 more years.”
What better way to celebrate their milestone than through a variety of ways to come together as a community and Live United. Ways you can get involved this year:
- It wouldn’t be a true birthday without a party, right? United Way MV’s 100th Birthday Party will be held on June 10, 2022. It’s slated to be a one-of-a-kind celebration as the non-profit raises money to create a thriving Mohawk Valley. The party will be held in the Biergarten of Saranac Brewery and will include a live band, dance performances, tasty treats, and much more.
- Nominate a local hero as part of the 100 Heroes Campaign. The non-profit’s work doesn’t happen alone. The organization is asking the community to help recognize and celebrate the area’s unsung heroes by nominating those who have made an impact locally.
- Learn how you can make a difference with 100 Ways to Celebrate 100 Years.
United Way MV is also asking workplace campaign partners not to miss out on the Workplace Campaign's 100th Birthday Challenge. Workplaces who complete all 10 challenges by May 1, 2022, will receive a special gift and recognition.
- The non-profit has partnered with an area favorite, Utica Coffee, to create a special Utica Coffee United Way Birthday Blend. The special blend will be on shelves throughout November. Even sweeter, a portion of the proceeds from each bag purchased at Utica Coffee will benefit United Way.
- Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, and Herkimer County Chairman of the Legislature Vincent Bono, both issued proclamations naming November 1, 2022 “United Way Day” in celebration of the 100th birthday.
- Community members can also show their support for United Way MV by shopping for branded apparel on their online store. Orders will be accepted through November 22, 2021. A portion of the proceeds will benefit United Way.
“Excellus BlueCross BlueShield is proud to partner with United Way MV to celebrate 100 years of making a difference in our community,” said Eve Van de Wal, Excellus BCBS Utica Regional President. “Their programs and innovative solutions have impacted the lives of so many throughout our region and we look forward to continuing to work together towards the common goal of improving the lives of those who live and work in the communities we serve.”
The non-profit couldn’t make this year’s 100th birthday celebration possible without the 100 Years United Company Sponsorships from Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Saranac Brewery, The Fountainhead Group, Bank of Utica, and CNY Labor Council.
To learn more about United Way of the Mohawk Valley’s 100th Birthday celebrations visit unitedwaymv.org/100.
About United Way of the Mohawk Valley
Since 1921, United Way of the Mohawk Valley (United Way MV) has been a human service leader helping thousands of local individuals and families by bringing people and organizations together to solve our community’s challenges. As one of the area’s top funders, dozens of programs rely on United Way MV funding each year.
United Way MV is a leader in innovation through projects and initiatives addressing crucial community issues in the impact areas of health, education, and financial stability, such as childcare through the Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative (ESPRI), Ready for Kindergarten, 211, and housing and homelessness efforts.
For information about United Way of the Mohawk Valley, to donate or to get involved visit www.unitedwaymv.org, or call 315.733.4691.