Julie began her career with United Way MV in 2017 as part of United Way's Ready for Kindergarten (R4K) initiative team. She started as a Family School Navigator (FSN) in partnership with the Dolgeville School District and is now the R4K Program Manager, overseeing six FSN's that are working with 11 school districts. She graduated from Mohawk Valley Community College with a degree in Human Services and has 14 years of experience working in public schools.
United Way is a leading problem solver, innovator, and connector in the Mohawk Valley. Julie is a natural connector in the community and in her role at United Way. She loves working with children and families, and that's why she has been in that field for years! Making children smile and laugh and helping families be successful by connecting them to resources is what she says makes her job so fulfilling.
When asked why she likes to work for United Way, Julie says “United Way is amazing! It only consists of 21 employees. I can't believe what a small group of people can do, and is doing, for the Mohawk Valley. Her favorite event is Women United (formerly 100 Women Who Care), which benefits United Way’s R4K Initiative. She says “it’s a great event with inspiring stories and so many great people.”
Outside of United Way, Julie has a great relationship with the community, especially within the schools. For years, she’s been an active member of the PTO and STPA, and you can often find her coordinating fundraising, field trips, family fun nights, book fairs, and running concession stands. Her favorite community event is the Violet Festival in Dolgeville.
Some fun facts about Julie are:
- Julie loves to collect seashells and snowmen.
- Julie was raised on a farm and grew up with several pets, so she’s both a cat AND dog lover.
- Julie’s motto to live by is “Live, Laugh Love. Live every moment, laugh every day, love beyond words.”
- Julie’s favorite meal to cook is spaghetti and meatballs
Would She Rather?
We asked Julie some “Would you rather” questions, and here’s how she answered:
- She would rather live in an RV than on a sailboat.
- She would rather have unlimited airline tickets than never having to pay for food in a restaurant again.
- She would want to be the actor in a movie, not the director.
- If she had to choose between a donkey and a giraffe for a mode of transportation, she picks donkey!
- A beach home is her cup of tea, over a cabin in the woods.
- She prefers to watch the movie, rather than reading the book.