Sandy began her career with United Way MV in 1989, and. Has since gained over 30 years of on-the-job training. She is an important piece of the Development team, as Sandy supports our annual fundraising efforts and manages our donor database. She initially was connected with United Way due to her knowledge of shorthand writing, and has since made a lifelong career out making a difference here in the Mohawk Valley!
United Way is a leading problem solver, innovator, and connector in the Mohawk Valley. Sandy considers herself a “connector”, as she connects data to people.
When asked why she likes to work for United Way, Sandy says “Many people know me would think I don't like change. In some regard you are correct, but working at UWMV has shown me that change is good and helps to keep "routine" work a challenge.”
Sandy is a wealth of knowledge and history and is especially handy to have around as our 100th-anniversary approaches. Staff often refer to her when we have questions about life at United Way before we began our journey here. We are proud to have Sandy as part of United Way for so many years and that she chose a career in helping our community thrive.
Some fun facts about Sandy are:
- Her favorite pizza is upside-down sausage and mushroom from Joe’s Pizza in Whitesboro.
- When asked what she would bring to a deserted island, Sandy says, “Based on watching Naked and Afraid, I would bring a never-ending supply of drinking water, and a survivalist. One who can make fire, hunt, and keep me warm at night.”
- She is a cat person. “They are a comfort to have around, easy to care for, and funny.
- If she won the lottery, she would purchase a home and land in the country – one to accommodate her immediate family to live comfortably.
Would She Rather?
We asked Sandy some “Would you rather” questions, and here’s how she answered:
- She would rather spend the rest of her life in an RV than on a sailboat.
- She would rather watch the movie than read the book.
- She would rather time travel than freeze time
- She would rather have a silver tongue than a golden voice.
- She would rather drive a flying carpet than an underwater car.